Thursday, October 6, 2011

Crochet cupcake

Pin It

Is there anyone out there who dosen't like cupcakes? I don't think so.
I am a huge fan of cupcakes. Although I have baked a few different varieties of cakes I haven't baked cupcakes, but I love cupcake patterns, I love to paint cupcakes, love to cross-stitch cupcakes and, of course, I loved crocheting this cute cupcake.


Can you see the ridges in the body of the cupcake as in real cupcake liners? I crocheted into the back loops of the stitches only to achieve this and I thought I might as well make a tutorial for those of you who are not familiar with this particular crocheting technique.

For this cupcake I first made a round to form the base. Then I made the sides separately and joined them together, stuffed the cupcake and finally sewed the top.

How to crochet into back loops only 

1. First make a number of chains according to the length that you desire. Then make a row of single crochet. (Please excuse the quality of photos).


2. If you are using different colours you can attach another colour. Then you have to work into the back loops of the stitches.

First let me show you what is a back loop and what is a front loop.


In this picture you can see clearly which is a back loop and which is a front loop. Normally we work into both the loops together but to form ridges you have to work into the back loops only.


You can see that I have worked the next row in white into the back loops only.



You can see how the pattern has formed. I made two rows using pink and one row using white and the white yarn was lot thicker than the pink yarn. The second row of each pink stripe was worked as a normal single crochet without working into the back loops.



After reaching the desired length to correspond to the circumference of the circle I sewed them both together as shown. 

  
Now the body of the cupcake is formed. Then I made the top.



To make the dome shaped top, make 4 ch and join to form a ring.
Make 3 ch and 11 dc into the ring.
3 ch, 1 dc in same place, 2 dc each in all the stitches (24 dc). Join.
3 ch, 1 dc in same place, *1 dc in next stitch, 2 dc in next. Repeat from *. Join.
3 ch, 1 dc in each stitch. Join.
3 ch, 1 dc in same place, *1 dc in next stitch, 2 dc in next. Repeat from *. Join.
3 ch, 1 dc in each dc. Join.


Make a shell edging by skipping 2 st, make 7 dc into next st, skip 2 st, make 7 dc into next stitch, repeat.  Do the stuffing and sew the top to the body of cupcake.



Make a small flower and sew it to the top of the cupcake. This serves as my pincushion now.

44 comments:

  1. I found your blog via Pinterest and *had* to click because of your awesome title.. "The Lazy Hobbyhopper" describes me perfectly! Cute blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I just found your blog today and it is so inspiring with so many great tutorials! Awesome! So glad I stopped by!
    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmhhh and wow;) such a sweet and beautiful corchet work! and thanks for this great tutorial!
    JenMuna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous cupcakes and thanks for the tutorial.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing I ever made when I started crocheting earlier this year was a cupcake. I've made many since and I get such a kick out of them! They make great birthday gifts! And being that they are relatively lightweight and inexpensive to ship, many of my friends have gotten them as gifts this year. I NEVER thought of the two toned "wrapper". I LOVE that pink and white! How cute! And my ridges were made with a different stitch. Have been using the backloop just this week while making the ridged edging for stocking caps! Fun cupcakes. There is something about them that appeals to the little girl inside my old body! LOL Annette

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beyond adorable! Oh my I am a huge fan of cupcakes and this is the best "low calorie" one I have ever seen. Bookmarked this pattern for future reference. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias por enseñarnos a tejer este cupcake!!
    Yo intentaré tejerlo!!!

    xoxo

    Lorena from Chile

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am running for my hook to make one as I type, so so yummy scrummy. Thanks for such a wonderful pattern xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pradeepa :D you are a god send :D and I want these lil cup cakes :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Que delicioso pastelito¡¡¡¡ Gracias por el tutorial, puede que lo intente hacer.
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally a cupcake with no calories! *smile* Great pin cushion idea...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of the most adorable crochet cupcakes I've ever seen. The colors are just so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me encanta tu cupcake.Es precioso y el tutorial esta muy bien.Un abrazo de osezno..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely and yummy cupcake....
    Funny, I finish one ( in crochet) yesterday...
    Have a creative week-end.
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the cutest pincushion I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cutest cupcake ever. So much sweeter than the real ones I made last week for my oldest son's 16th birthday (they turned out a bit wonky). :) Hope your day is great. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love love love your cupcake, soo cute! Thank you so much for the pattern. Have to try one too!Have a wonderful weekend! Barbina

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely!!!! I am tempted to try this out, esp since u have given directions! thought of u during Navaratri at my mom's house where my aunt has made a beautiful crochet doily with swans! didnt know how to attach a pic here, so click on the link to go to the post...

    http://anushankarn.blogspot.com/2011/10/yet-another-creative-kolu.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE it! It's so pretty! Thank you for sharing at Fibers on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cutie, thank you so much for the tutorial.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  21. O this is so darling!! I totally LOVE IT!! :) thanks for sharing:)
    xo
    ash

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's the cutest thing ever. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gracias por tu hermoso comentario sobre mi abuela!!

    cariños
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  24. I also love crocheted cupcakes....yours are sooo cute! Thanks for posting how to do it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow this is so inspiring! makes me want to learn how to crochet. i never knew things like this could be created. wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am floored by people who crochet/knit. My poor mother has tried teaching me but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. This disappoints me because it's one craft besides making pancakes I can't seem to get right when I try or at least attempt to try... I bet it's so relaxing!

    Just joined your blog, hope you will join my blog as well.

    Warmest Regards,
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is about the cutest cupcake that I've seen - thanks for sharing your pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a pretty design...superb dear...

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is SO Cute!!! Thanks for partying at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello, thanks SO much again for linking up to Pin'Inspirational Thursdays last week.. I featured it as my top five this week.. Please stop in and have a looksey/grab a button if you'd like.. This is totally awesome.. :))..Hope you can link up again today..~M

    ReplyDelete
  31. I do not know how many times I came to this post to see these delicious cupcakes...:D
    I finally crocheted a cap to the background music of my husband singing that its cheaper and simpler to buy one(He was fed up of seeing me crocheting during all my free time and yes, wool is horribly expensive here, so it is cheaper to buy a ready wool cap..:D) and guess what!! The cap does not fit my son, but instead my daughter's dolls!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cute! And a great tutorial! I've seen a lot of crochet patterns, but never a cupcake. :) I'd be thrilled if you'd share it at my 'think pink' party [and any other pink projects you've posted about too].

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/welcome-to-week-6-of-falling-for-crafts.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. its so cute pradeepa..luks like a fresh cup cake..luv the soft colours u have used..the frosting is yummy:))

    ReplyDelete
  34. its very cute! Thank you for the pattern!
    best wishes from Brazil :-)
    Debora

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks very much! Mine turned out very cute - After I made the top 2x too big, went back and examined your photos and then your profile and realized you are using British notation.
    US folks: keep in mind, DC = SC!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ohh.. this is an awesome cupcake! :) Looking so real!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thankyou so much for sharing this pattern, I have been searching for a patern to do the top of the cupcake for ages !! Have begged for it but to no avail, so THANKYOU. Lovely blog, beautifull work xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very cute!!! This looks much nicer than other crocheted cupcakes Ive seen!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Too cute! Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Merci pour ce superbe tuto, je vais m'empresser de le réaliser !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...